Monday, October 3, 2011

Maui...Day #3

 We decieded to go hiking today since we have never done one here on Maui in the 13 times we've been here!  So we did 3 to make up for lost time :). They were all on the north west part of Maui.  The first one was to see this big pile of rock called the Ioa Needle Overlook and Botanical Gardens.  It has sacred significance and aslo acted as a look out during the last great war quite a few years ago...This thing was huge!

Someone please tell me what I'm doing with my nostrils here???  Or jsut don't...Bad angle for sure!
We stopped at a bunch of roadside stands looking for banana bread...we finally did find some and it was gone in no time!  We aslo bought some coconut candy for the ride and some for the kids too...let's hope it last till the end of the trip :)
This was a super scary looking spider we came apon! 
I'm pretty sure he is some sort of hybrid with a sea creature...Funny thing is Mike and I were discussing how we don't really know what to look out for here on the island like we do back home...then this fell into sight!

The second hike was to see a pretty serious blowhole called Nakalele Blowhole.  The hike was a decending one to the ocean where this 4ft. gapping hole in the lava spews water at regular intervals.  The spray went well over 40 feet at times.  Mike liked this little cave rock.  He didn't quite fit though :)

This view was from a good 30 yards up high.  And of course I couldn't ger my
camera to snap at just the right time.  You'll have to take my word for it!
Then we found this little "hole" in the wall...Who knows if it was man or nature made. 
 I don't care I thought it was cool!


I was actually scared standing on this rock. 
The ocean below was fierce, deep and super rocky!
I don't do heights well these days...
The last hike we followed was to see the acient hawaiian (what else) Olowalu Petroglyphs.  This facinated me...


After all was said and done we were exausted and super hungry so we went home and made some garlic shrimp!  It was awesome!!!

1 comment:

Tyrell Berner said...

I LOVE the heart in the rock! SOOO cool. Totally jealous of your trip and your golf skills!